Cart  

0

Carbon monoxide

Description :

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas and very toxic even in small quantities. There are about 7,000 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning every year. 

Emission source and use:

The emission of carbon monoxide in homes is often due to heating systems or heat engines that are not working correctly. Badly installed solid-fuel equipment, or blocked chimneys, conduits or ventilation pipes raise the level of carbon monoxide.

Likewise, portable fuel-burning appliances or engines running in a badly ventilated area significantly increase the level of carbon monoxide.

Dangers :

Exposure to this gas at 150 ppm for an hour and a half causes mild headaches. From 200 ppm, a feeling of tiredness, nausea, dizzy spells and muscular numbness occur. Above 400 ppm, if exposed for one or two hours, migraines will begin. From 3 hours at this concentration the life of the exposed person is threatened.

45 minutes of exposure at a rate of 800 ppm can cause fainting, nausea and convulsions. Exposure at this rate for two or three hours can lead to loss of consciousness or even death. So, the higher the level of carbon monoxide, the quicker the symptoms described previously appear, exposure at a rate of 6,500 ppm can cause death in a just a few minutes.

Young children and small pets are the first victims in the event of high-level exposure to carbon monoxide.

AEV : 50 ppm

ELV:  -

Maximum value recommended for homes: 17ppm

visa

HomeHome